STEP is a content reference model that believes that testing process starts with software product requirements gathering phase and goes on till the system retires. It lays emphasis on “testing before coding” through a test strategy based on requirements. This makes sure that the test cases are developed early which in turn confirms that the requirements are correct, before design and coding begins.
These are some of the basic assumptions of STEP model:
- Test strategy based on requirements
- Testing starts as the software development lifecycle begins
- Tests are aligned to requirements as well as usage
- Software design is led by testware design
- Defects must be identified in the initial stages or avoided completely
- Defects must be analyzed thoroughly
- Testers must work as a team with the developers
In the next topic, we investigate the points a Test Manager must consider before selecting a testing tool.